Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Old Farm Shed


Old Farm Shed
12 x 6, oil

At times I paint out with a plein air painter friend here. She grew up on an orchard and fruit farm near West Pecham, UK. I have gone with her a couple of times to paint there. It is really hard to select just one scene to paint because there are so many. We got going at 8am on this morning so that we could catch a bit of the morning light (I wasn't about to get up at 5:30 for the sunrise so 8 am was the best I was willing to do).

This painting, and the last one, were 80% done en plein air and the rest done in my studio. I am liking this ratio of outside and studio time on a piece. It takes away some of the anxiety of the timing and gets me lots more focused on getting the main color notes and values down right on site.

No comments: