Friday, March 22, 2013

Watching MY Valley


Watching MY valley
9 x 12, oil

There is something I really am drawn to about a person or animal from the back, as many of you know already. There is a bit of mystery in not seeing the face - especially the eyes.  As the painter pulled to paint this, I feel like I am part of an intimate moment without disturbing it's energy. 

There is also a simplicity of form that can speak to the overall character of the animal / person that is just enough for me to know them in a way. When I view things from behind I put myself in their world rather than have them in mine. It's a place of wonder, curiosity and intrigue.

This cow is one I saw on my first trip to Ireland. He/she didn't even know I was there. I caught the scene and the photo - took in the mood and then was on my way.


No comments: