Saturday, June 8, 2013

Celebrating .... it all



I am in the midst of an 8 out of 10 day Open Studio experience at my home. People come to my house during my open hours and look and buy (hopefully). I am in day two. Not many people here but the ones who are coming I am enjoying immensely.

During my waiting time I am working on some important things in my art - my vision, artist statement, why do I do what I do? What do I personally like about my work? Where is it all going?

Within this quest  I am getting clearer on some of own knowledge of self. I can now put into words that I understand why I paint - I am pulled to celebrate my connection with the subject by painting it.

The celebration just starts with the connection with the subject, which for me could be a special emotion or story that is enhanced with some specific lighting to help show it off.  It is also partly the 'pat on the back' when the painting is done and successful, or when a challenge within the process had been bested. Partly it is the gratitude for having the ability to begin with. Partly it is giving me credit for pushing myself to get better and better.  I guess I do believe that life is to be celebrated with all that we are - I am a painter, thus, I often celebrate with paint.

No comments: