Monday, January 28, 2013

From the last 24 hours


Heavy Snow
9 x 12, oil on panel

This one was actually done with a photo reference that I took nearby. It is actually a rickety old fence that is quite grown over and the snow made it quite heavy. I loved the shapes that were created with the lighting. I also love the challenge of finding and depicting the many colors in the white shadowed areas. Once again, the photo does not quite show all of the color I put in.


Two Chinese Teenagers
9 x 12, oil on panel

This painting was an hour's worth of work. The girls had never modelled before and had slept in so they were late and had to leave early. They chatted in Chinese the entire time but kept their pose throughout.  I really found it interesting to see the difference in their skin tones and head shapes.  There are drawing flaws for sure but I am mostly happy with this one. There was no time to noodle it - and that is good, but I could have used another hour with them. I also do enjoy keeping it a bit sketchy in a portrait.

No comments: